Name

Home Address

Home

Mobile

E-Mail

Chairman

Dennis Vasey


01723 859360



Secretary

Ashley Winspear

39 Scalby Avenue, Scarborough YO12 6HW

01723 447604

07841 725976

philwinspear@yahoo.co.uk

Fixtures

Ashley Winspear





Captains






1stXI

Jon Mason



07866 582632


2ndXI

Joe Tyson



07837 881096


Cancellations

Secretary





Child Welfare Officers

Ashley Winspear

39 Scalby Avenue, Scarborough YO12 6HW

01723 447604

07841 725976

philwinspear@yahoo.co.uk


Colin Palmer



07946 591816


Groundsmen

Ian Winspear


01723 859272




Dick Horsley


01723 859194



EBBERSTON CRICKET CLUB

DATES OF INTEREST

1911 Founder member of the Beckett League

1949 Re-admitted to League after 2nd World War

1951 Resigned from League on 10th January 1951

1951 Won first trophy, the Derwent Valley Cup

1958 Re-admitted to League on 15th January 1958

1993 2nd X1 reformed after folding in the late 1950’s

2006 Dave Woodhead with 1057 runs broke the League record.

2007 2nd X1 admitted to Scarborough Beckett League        

League Champions   2004, 2005, 2006

Division ’B’ Champions  1975, 1998

Division ’C’ Champions  1981, 1988

Cayley Cup Div ’A’ Winners  1999

Cayley Cup ’Premier’ Winners  2009, 2012

Cayley Cup Div ’B’        ..      1969, 1978, 1989, 1991, 1998

Cayley Cup Div ’C’ Winners  1980

2nd X1

Cayley Cup Div ‘C’ Winners  2007

Division ‘C’ Champion 2015

The ground is located at the bottom of the Village’s Back Lane which is accessed via the A170 Scarborough to Thirsk road, being 10 miles West of Scarborough and 6 miles East of Pickering.

From the South turn off the A64 onto the B1258 (signposted Snainton). The 128 public service bus (Scarborough to Helmsley) goes past the grounds Southern boundary.


Ebberston Cricket Club organised origins can be traced back to 1891, as a Club minute book held by the Parish Council states. Prior to this the village may have had either an organised, or ad hoc eleven, as a booklet entitled “Reflections of Foxholes”  details that on the last Saturday of August 1866 Ebberston hosted Foxholes and lost a 2 innings match.

The Club have played on 4 grounds, Hodgson’s Field (behind the Chapel); Mill Field, Green Lane; back to Mill Field before moving to the present ground, Style Field in 1953. This latest ground was rented from J W Chafer Ltd (a local farming concern) before coming under the jurisdiction of Britag Industries Ltd (a subsidiary of ICI), until it was offered for sale to the Club in 1991. The land was subsequently bought that year following a public subscription and a very generous bequest from the Club’s then President, Mrs Annie White. The land was levelled, drained, re-seeded and fenced off from the larger field in 1991/92. A new pavilion was erected in 1994/95, replacing the existing wooden shed (changing rooms) and small tea hut (which had been the original changing room).


Notable Club Individuals

Hugh Winspear played for the Club between the World Wars whilst his wife, Bessie, operated as team scorer. After the war Hugh gained even more effectiveness in the white coat, as the team umpire (which he did into his eighties), often giving out his three sons, Geoff, Michael and Ian, for fear of being accused of bias. Ian is now one of the two main groundsmen, whilst Ian’s son, Ashley, is the Club and League Secretary. For longevity, at the Club, Dick Horsley takes some beating, having played as an exceptional swing bowler for the Club, over six decades (1940’s - 1990’s) before moving into pitch preparation.