Name

Home Address

Home

Mobile

E-Mail

Chairman

Simon Addison



07969 802527


Secretary

Philip Heslehurst



07429 576 199

p.heslehurst@hotmail.com

Fixtures

Philip Heslehurst



07429 576 199


Captains






1stXI

Mark Holtby



07791 879 796


2ndXI

Chris Hodgson



07749 811 257








Cancellations

Captains





Child Welfare Officers

Simon Adison






John Taylor





Groundsman

Will Gray



07807 924 464


Website






WOLD NEWTON CRICKET CLUB

DATES OF INTEREST

First recorded mention of Wold Newton C.C.  1880

Moved to present field at Pear Tree Farm  1975

Joined Scarborough Beckett Cricket League  1983

Division ‘B’ Champions (Div ‘A’)   1987, 1989, 2010

Division ‘C’ Champions    1984

Division ‘D’ Champions & revised Div ‘C’  1983, 2007

2nd X1 joined League 2016 after amalgamation with Derwent Valley League

Formed 2nd X1 2008

 







                            






The first recorded cricket match involving Wold Newton C.C. dates back to 1880 when the village played against near neighbours North Burton, this being detailed in a book on cricket in the East Riding of Yorkshire. This year will therefore represent the clubs own 130th anniversary. However, it is believed that the club, in its present form, was founded around the time of the First World War (1914).

To begin with matches were played between the local village sides such as Weaverthorpe, North Burton, Foxholes, Thwing and Langtoft. By 1922 the Bridlington Evening League and Saturday Leagues were formed and soon after Wold Newton successfully applied to join,

The Club joined the Scarborough Beckett League in 1983 and have played in all four divisions during that time.

The cricket team have had several “homes” in the village over the years before settling at the present location of Pear Tree Farm for the past 34 years. The first site, for the club, was on Bridlington Road where the council houses are now located before moving to what was always referred to as the cricket ground. This was the last field on the Thwing Road which was bordered on two sides by the Gypsey Race. This ground was also the home of the very successful Wold Newton Cup competition. After many years the club moved across the road to play in a field offered to the club by former player, Ted Sutton before finally moving to Pear Tree Farm.